Featured Post

Now Available: The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8!

 Long overdue, but worth the wait, The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8 is now available!  Gaze in wonder at the cover by Clint "...

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Feature Artist: Silphy the Blue

While we're waiting on the latest volume of Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit, due any day now, let me take a moment to introduce you to our latest pinup artist, Silphy the Blue!
The length of some of the Bruno stories in the last couple of issues has meant that we have had very little space for pinups.  As much as I love featuring Bruno interpretations by different artists, the stories come first.  In fact, the current issue comes in at 4 pages longer than previous volumes, with only one page available for pinups.
I've had a pinup piece from Silphy the Blue on tap for quite a while now, and I'm pleased to say that it will be gracing the pages of the current issue.
I met Silphy at a convention a few years ago, and was immediately impressed by a vivid, dynamic art style with a fantastic sense of color.  Since I'm always keeping an eye out for artists who I think will bring a new perspective to the characters, I knew I had to get something by this artist for Brutal Blade and commissioned something on the spot.  I also bought an original sketch card that currently graces the bookshelf in my studio, but that's just for my own satisfaction.
I think what I like about Silphy's art is that it combines a clear Image Comics influence with a clear line style (possibly coming from animation?) and a good sense of form, with the result being a bold, confident style that has a sense of fun and communicates the artist's passion for the work.  I find it's always best when the artist clearly enjoys what they do, and that enjoyment shines through in Sliphy's work.
We've only got one piece of work by Silphy to share with you (for now...), but you should definitely check out the eye candy at DeviantArt and Tumblr.  Come for the art...stay for the animated cat gifs! 

 Julia the Strange
by
Silphy the Blue

No comments: