Featured Post

Now Available: The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8!

 Long overdue, but worth the wait, The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8 is now available!  Gaze in wonder at the cover by Clint "...

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Artist Profile: Thomas Drewsen

One of the great things about publishing a book like "Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit" is that it attracts interest not only from fans, but from other creative people as well.  Any comics that are worth their salt will naturally get attention from artists and writers who would like to play around in the world that's been created, and I'm pleased to say that Ian McDonald's Bruno is no exception.
Take, for example, the portfolio I received via email this week from Thomas Drewsen.  Thomas is a Danish illustrator currently working on an RPG.  Thomas contacted me because he thought I might be interested in using some of his work in an upcoming issue of "Brutal Blade".  And he wasn't wrong; his work is very nice, and I'd love to be able to commission a character portrait from him.

However, one of the not so great things about publishing on the level where AIM Comics currently exists is that our budget for such things is tighter than a matron's apron, and there's just no way I'd be able to pay an artist like Thomas what they're worth.  What few shekels I can spare have to go into paying our cover artist (another Conan classic coming up for issue 2!) and getting advertising space and materials.
Still, that's not to say that I can't spread the word about an artist like Thomas and introduce you all to his work.  He's a talented illustrator, and his portfolio is definitely worth a look, especially if you're a fan of the Marvel Conan comics from which Brutal Blade takes so much inspiration.  If you've got a couple of minutes, why not click over to Thomas's portfolio and take a look at his work?  I really do think you'll like it.

All that being said, I am considering getting a few fan pinups for the second issue of Brutal Blade, so if you're interested, why not send me a sample or a link?  I won't be able to pay much, but if the work is good, at least you could be the subject of a future artist profile on this site.

No comments: