Featured Post

Now Available: The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8!

 Long overdue, but worth the wait, The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8 is now available!  Gaze in wonder at the cover by Clint "...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Looking for Kindle-ing

I'm in the process of trying to port "Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit" to a Kindle version.  Anyone who's ever tried to publish a comic through Kindle will likely be chuckling wryly by now, and well you may.
My first attempt was....well, in a word, awful.  But that's what I get for thinking I could just upload the existing pdf and Amazon's back end would take care of the rest for me.  Little did I know there's a lot of work involved if you don't want your product to look like a dog's breakfast.
However, I've been fortunate enough to locate a great resource that will save me a lot of time and frustration with the whole process.  Over at Smashwords, there's a nifty little ebook called, appropriately, "Formatting Comics for the Kindle and Nook: A Step-By-Step Guide to Images and Ebooks" by Niki Smith and Michael Jasper that explain in words simple enough for even me to understand how to go about reformatting your comics for an ebook reader.  Not only that, but the book also provides some basic advice on ebook marketing and links to an html template that will, I expect, save a ton of time.  Even though there's still going to be a lot of work involved to get the book Kindle-ready, I think this handy resource make it a lot less frustrating than it might otherwise have been.
If you're a self-publisher interested in putting your own comics on the Kindle, I highly recommend heading over to Smashwords and throwing down a couple of bucks for this book; you'll be glad you did.


No comments: