Featured Post

Now Available: The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8!

 Long overdue, but worth the wait, The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8 is now available!  Gaze in wonder at the cover by Clint "...

Monday, November 14, 2011

Halcon 2011

Halcon 2011 is done like dinner!  I do believe a good time was had by all.  I know I had a great time, doing sketches, hanging out with Ian McDonald at the AIM Comics table, meeting Bruno the Bandit fans, and schmoozing with guys like Sandy Carruthers and Geof Isherwood.  We sold some books, gave away a bunch of Journals of Simon Pariah ashcans, and saw some great costumes. Really, it's all I could have wanted from an event like this, and I can't wait until I get a chance to do it again.
I've uploaded a bunch of photos to my Facebook page here, and there's some more great ones available via the Halcon Twitter feed here.  Meantime, a few highlights of the event were...
Daughter #1 being interviewed in her homemade Dalek costume. She got a very positive response for this, and is now featured in a ton of photographs.  She couldn't move 5 feet without being stopped for a photo.

Daughter #2 being interviewed in her Weeping Angel costume.  This one was much simpler to make, but we must have done a good job, because she took second place in the Junior category of the costume contest.

Snagged myself a copy of "Antiquitas Lost", the new book by Robert Louis Smith and illustrator Geof Isherwood (cover artist of Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit vol. 2), and got to meet both creators and have them sign the book.  At first glance, the art for this book is easily on par with Wrightson's work on "Frankenstein", and that impression was reinforced by getting the chance to see some of the originals.  Amazing stuff, and I'm looking forward to digging into this book.

 The first volume of "Superhero Girl", a collection of webcomics self-published by Faith Erin Hicks.  My daughter is a bit of a fan of Faith's and picked up this book and had her sketch/sign it.  I read it this morning on a whim, and was pleased to find that Faith continues to impress with each new idea she launches.  This is an interesting take on superheroes that doesn't revolve around people punching each other in the face.  Great reading for kids of all ages.
I had a chance to talk briefly with Debbie Rochon, horror movie actress, and star of the excellent Lovecraftian film "Colour Out of the Dark".  She's an interesting person to talk to, and I enjoyed getting a bit of an insider's perspective on horror film making.  Debbie runs a regular column over at Fangoria that I'm going to have to start paying more attention to.

I didn't get as much of a chance as last year to get around and talk with people, but I did have some memorable interactions and enjoyed seeing things from behind the table this year.  Be sure to check out the Hal-Con site for more photos and event details, and maybe I'll see you at next year's event!



No comments: