Featured Post

Now Available: The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8!

 Long overdue, but worth the wait, The Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit Vol. 8 is now available!  Gaze in wonder at the cover by Clint "...

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Submit to Bruno!

I'm busily picking away at the content of the second volume of "Brutal Blade of Bruno the Bandit", and aiming for an August release.  We've got Hal-Con coming up in November, and I'd like to have two, if not three, books on the table.  I've already got a cover artist lined up for the second issue (long-time Conan fans will find themselves happy once again!), and most of the rest of the content is already done.

One thing I'm missing so far is pinup pages for the book...and that's where you, dear reader, come in. 
I could easily fill the pinup slots with my own art, but where's the fun in that?  Well, aside from getting to play around with art in Ian McDonald's Brunoverse.  Instead, knowing that some of the readers and Brun-atics are decent artists in their own right, I'm putting out a call for pinup page submissions.

Here's the deal....I'm not asking for freebies; this is a paying gig.  However, it's not paying very much, mainly because my operating budget right now amounts to whatever I can dig out from under the couch cushions.  So, I'm offering ten bucks via Paypal plus a print copy of the finished work to any artist whose work I accept for the book.  I wish it could be more, but that's the best I can offer for now, until these things start selling like Ian's work deserves and we retire fat and happy millionaires.

If you're interested, and would like to earn the price of a cheap lunch and see your work in print, please email me a low-rez (no bigger than 150 dpi) jpeg of your drawing before July 15th.  If I like it, I'll email you back and let you know it's been accepted, then arrange payment and delivery of the book. 
How will you know if I like it?  Well, consider the following criteria:

a) Is it in black and white or grayscale (color's a ways off for us)?
b) Is it competently drawn (no stick figures, please, unless you're Randall Munroe)?
c) Is it not overly violent or sexual in content?
d) Is it humorous or at least relevant to Bruno the Bandit?

If you can answer "yes" to all four of those questions, there's a good chance I'll like it.  I'll be sending all submissions to Ian as well to make sure they meet his approval, but I think I'm a good judge of what he'll approve.  I don't know yet how many pinups I'll be needing, but I'm going to guess at least four.  I'll be contacting the successful artists on or shortly after July 15, so get drawing!

A few final notes:
-I plan on putting this offer out on a couple of other forums shortly, but thought I'd make this offer here first for the longtime fans of Bruno to get first shot at it.
-As far as copyright of the work goes, it goes without saying that Ian McDonald holds copyright to Bruno the Bandit, the comic, the name and all associated characters.  However, the artist will retain copyright of the work itself, and will be able to republish it anywhere else after the book is released.  AIM Comics is only asking for first publication rights to the work, and any future reuse of the work will be negotiated separately.
-Finally, even if your work does not make it into the book, I may ask for permission to run your work on this website as "fan art".  Please send me a link to your online gallery, if you have one, along with your submission, so that I can link back to your properly.

1 comment:

Mike D. said...

I'm working on it fella's :)